Hi Michael,

I would not say that AMSAT has abandoned HEO. Rather, launch opportunities that exist now are being utilized. Would you rather sit dormant and let all existing birds fail or re-enter while waiting for an HEO opportunity? And AMSAT is just learning to build cubesats. For AMSAT-NA, Fox-1 is a first. If we're going to fly HEO, we had better be good at building a reliable satellite in a cubesat (be it 1, 3, or 6U) format. The first HEO launch opportunity is not the time to figure that out! While HEO launch opportunities do not exist now, but that does not mean that AMSAT isn't pursuing them as Drew pointed out, nor that AMSAT would not build an HEO satellite when opportunities do come. In the meantime, we are making lemonade and preparing through practice.

Jerry
N0JY