>> ... launch opportunities are so rare that we ought to
fly the most capable equipment we can on those rare
occasions when we can get a launch ...

Perhaps we should define, "most capable equipment." And
we also need to define "bang for the buck."

What should a ham satellite program offer to the amateur community?
If bringing new hams into this aspect of the hobby is important,
then we need another AO-51 - which was probably the greatest marketing
tool ever seen in the amateur satellite community. Its ease of use
was the cause of scores of media alerts and publicity for amateur radio.
And most importantly, it got more people looking skyward and thinking
they could work amateur satellites than any other project.

Then there was the marvelous marketing surrounding ARISSat-1 ...

What else should an amateur satellite program offer? Many here want
satellites that are only accessible with an investment of many hundreds
of dollars' worth of antenna systems and equipment. (Some would actually
love it if Technicians weren't allowed - that's how extreme thinking is
on this topic.) Is THAT what will move the hobby forward for the masses?

IS there a "middle ground?" Sure is a polarized topic (pun intended). Some
want the hobby and sat use to grow ... others want to exclude as many fellow
hams as possible.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com