Actually it is a larger fraction than you would think. Because of Atmospheric Drag.

Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com
On 9/18/2013 12:59 PM, Bryce Salmi wrote:
It's to my understanding that the Rockoons didn't go to orbit, but did
reach space with ballistic trajectories. The hard part with orbit is the
pure speed needed. RIT had a
program<http://www.rit.edu/kgcoe/electrical/meteor/meteor/Home.html>for
an orbital rockoon type project called METEOR a while back but it has
since been ended. I believe the advantages of launching from 30+ km
altitude are quickly outweighed by the added complexity of the system as a
whole. In the end the rocket fuel for most orbital rockets needed to get to
37km altittude is a small fraction of the total fuel on board anyways.

my $0.02

Bryce
KB1LQC