I think everyone on this list should play Kerbal Space Program (
https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/) and you'll realize the getting into
sub-orbital flight is easy, orbit however is not... It's actually realistic
enough to learn orbital mechanics but fun enough to enjoy as a game... It's
the un-official pastime of many young rocket scientists... hehe.

getting to orbit is hard and requires most fuel. Also, for the Virgin
Galactic and any plane/balloon based launch you are looking at ~500Kg
payload (at least that's whats stated on Virgin Galactic's website for
under $10 million)... sounds great until you realize your still spending
several million dollars where as a commercial rocket (lets say SpaceX
Falcon 9) is ~60 million for 13,500 Kg... There are many universities and
NASA departments making cubesats but the small satellite market is nothing
compared to the large payload (or many small payloads) to orbit market, and
that's where you'll find business going... Sorry guys, no ones building a
launch system for us...

Also, if AMSAT was to create a balloon or plane launch system those are
incredibly complex launch platforms that have to work in order to even
think about the satellite working... It's hard enough getting volunteers
for the satellites nevertheless a launch system. The launch providers are
in the big payload businesses and that's the market we're stuck with.

On another note, every round of comments comes back to: "lets have a long
life satellite...", "Let's put engines on the satellite", etc... Well fact
is we need to develop that technology in LEO before even trying to get to
HEO ourselves. That's a technological feat in itself. It seems to me that
some people haven't quite grasped the fact that AMSAT *is developing a
standardize platform of technology to bring to longer life and new
technology to CubeSats and HEO* and that platform is called... FOX...

Supporting AMSAT Fox is supporting AMSAT's potential future in HEO.

Also, don't quit, volunteer.

- Brent, KB1LQD