From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Les Rayburn
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:32 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] The "Good Ole Days" are now

Like many hams (I suspect), I dreamed of working satellites for decades.
Followed them with at least a passing interest but always seemed to put them
off till "someday". Even during the craze of the "work satellites with your
handheld", I was distracted by other priorities. When I got involved in
VHF/UHF a few years ago, and purchased an Icom IC-910H, I kept thinking I'd
finally pull the trigger. But years passed without anything other than
weak-signal contacts being made on that rig.

A few months ago, I finally decided to give it a try. Downloaded SATPC32,
and updated my keps. FO-29 was the next satellite coming my way, so when I
was inside the footprint, I tuned around a bit, and found some stations
coming in. Cool! I was actually hearing hams on satellite---next up was
answering a CQ...nervously I pushed the PTT on the mic.

82 grids and a few hundred contacts later, I'm having a ball!

I don't miss the birds that came before, but just enjoy what we have now. My
only complaint might be that more folks are not active on F0-29 and VO-52.
Even SO-50 can be nearly empty after midnight.

My understanding is that within the next year we'll have 2 or 3 more linear
LEO satellites, and possibly another FM bird, right? While we may not work a
lot of DX on those, we should get to the point where no one has to wait long
for "something" to be overhead. That's exciting to me!

AMSAT is staffed with wonderful volunteers, and seems to be doing great
work. I'm thrilled to be a member, even if it is #38965.

The good ole days are now. Get on the birds and make some contacts. I need
your grid! (ha, ha)

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light