Alan,

Thanks for the "real world" example. My receiver is an Icom IC-R10, which the specifications say has a 0.25 uV sensitivity on 144 MHz and 0.32 uV on 435. I operate portable, so I'm not using the preamp for the high gain to overcome cable loss, but to overcome the relatively high noise figure of the receiver. The preamp works great for FO-29. When I have a clear horizon, I can hear it down to 1 degree or so with an Arrow antenna. My problem is the horizon (and a military spread spectrum radiolocation system that causes "clicking" noises all over the 70cm band here in Washington).

On 2m, the preamp also helps greatly, but the preamp also amplifies countless out of band signals that desense the receiver. I have a PAR electronics notch filter to notch out the pagers at 152 MHz (two kilowatt pager transmitters are a quarter mile away from me), but that doesn't completely eliminate the problem. I have used a 10 dB attenuator between the preamp and receiver which eliminates the desense, but also reduces the signal level a bit too much. A 6 dB attenuator should arrive in my mailbox shortly and I'll try it on the next pass of AO-7 this afternoon.

What I likely really need to add is some low loss bandpass filtering for 2 meters, but it needs to be small since I operate with everything in a DSLR bag carried around my neck. Any suggestions?

Ultimately the only perfect solution is a second FT-817 to use as the receiver, but that's not in the cards at the moment.

73,

Paul, N8HM