Hi, Bill,

Go to http://www.fcc.gov and search for “experimental.”  Strongly suggest
reading Part 5 of the FCC rules first.  (See:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collectionCfr.action?collectionCode=CFR&searchPath=Title+5&oldPath=Title+5&isCollapsed=false&selectedYearFrom=2013&ycord=161.
  You may have to wait for Title 47 (Telecommunications) to be added to the
2013 edition, then go to Part 5.)  Make sure you have the version revised this
year.

Some thoughts for you.

        To the good:  Experimental stations can be assigned to any frequency.
Experimental stations may be licensed for all the purposes listed in Part 5 of
the FCC Rules and Regulations.  Commercial ideas can be tried out.  Operators
may be paid.  Encryption may be used.  Applications can be made online.  The
cost is somewhere around $100.

        To the bad:  Operation is secondary to EVERYTHING.  In case of causing
harmful interference, the experimental station is required to cure the problem,
which usually means being ordered to shut down immediately with no recourse.
In case of suffering harmful interference, it must be tolerated.  (Not a good
options for significant investments in time and money.)  Communication is
normally permitted only with stations listed on the license.  Communication
with regularly licensed stations (including amateur) is forbidden.
International communication is normally forbidden, unless administrations made
arrangements in advance.  International coordination is usually required.

One more thing on sharing bands allocated to the amateur-satellite service.
FCC now requires IARU coordination, though they didn’t give IARU notice.  (This
story requires several 807’s.)  To help out folks who had already built
projects thinking (erroneously) that they could fly as amateur, IARU worked out
an arrangement to provide coordination service on a TEMPORARY basis.
Coordination requested in the 144-146 MHz will no longer be provided for
experimental stations after mid 2014.  See 2013 AMSAT Technical Symposium
Proceedings.

IMHO, appropriate radiocommunication services and frequency allocations are
already available, can provide international status, and should be applied for,
rather than amateur-satellite service frequencies.  Fees will be required, but
FCC might waive their fees with a justified request.  ITU fees are normally
required, except for amateur stations.

I hope this helps.

73, art…..
W4ART  Arlington VA