Jason,
Your approach is similar to something I tired to do several months ago before AO-73 was launched. My idea was to try and use an RTL dongle as an inexpensive sat RX. I was using HDSDR with the dongle and an omni scanner antenna. I didn't have any luck at all receiving SO-50 but was able to copy some stuff from VO-52. I also had desense issues when I conducted experiments with an old two meter HT I have lying around here. I was going to experiment with some filters to cope with the desense and build an preamp based on the design of the one available from AMSAT but I got discouraged a bit and sidetracked so the project went on the back burner. Just lately I tried the SDR Radio console with my RTL dongle but could never get the software to recognize it. I apparently have some files missing and it hasn't been clear to me which ones or where to find them. I very much wish I could afford a Funcube dongle pro but it's not in the cards for me right now. Perhaps I'll give receiving AO-73 a shot again. Been thinking about it. I appreciate you posting your experiences.
73,
Michael, W4HIJ