Hi Ed,

Very good question and an important one!

With the more and more frequent use of “alternate” radios for satellite
work, software support is important. In general, and others please correct
me, the primary satellite programs like SatPC32, Orbitron, MacDoppler etc
have provide support for the classical satellite radios like FT-847,
TS-2000, IC-910 and respective older models, but not for any SDR based
radios unless they support an existing command (CAT) format like the
Flexradios work with the TS-2000 command set.

Now, having said that, programs like HamRadioDeluxe have a satellite
function (doppler control) and support a much larger set of radios. Also,
the version 2 SDR software from Simon Brown supports satellites. It is
important to investigate the radio models they support and/or emulate to
see if your specific set-up is covered. I assume the more SDR radios and
specifically VHF/UHF radios like the BladeRF and Etus Research become
popular and software supported, the more the current satellite program
developers (if interested) will add functionality. The future looks bright
for future SDR full duplex VHF/UHF radios. We are just not there yet J and
I would guess they are not coming from the big three (Icom. Yaesu or
Kenwood).

Hope this helps a little.

73, Stefan VE4NSA