Some of the cheap DVB dongles will definitely work to receive the
telemetry from AO-73. You will probably be able to hear conversations
on the transponder in the evening too depending on your antenna. AO-73
has a strong signal. You will probably be able to hear the transponder
downlink from VO-52 as well.

Check out N4JTC's blog post about how to do it:

http://n4jtc.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/rtl-sdr-sdr-radio-funcube-sat-fun/

73,

Paul Stoetzer, N8HM
Washington, DC