The last satellite AMSAT-NA built and flew was an SDR based linear transponder.
Fox-1 and RadFXsat are FM, and the comms capability got us the launches for
free. Fox-2 will be a SDR based transponder. At current count AMSAT orgs have
four operable transponder satellites, another in orbit awaiting  activation,
one at the launch site, and one lonely FM satellite built by the Saudis almost
a decade ago.

That seems pretty balanced and forward thinking to me. Maybe your research is
faulty.

However, as one of the "idiots" routinely doing hamfest demonstrations and
volunteering way too much for the org, and a Life Member of AMSAT, your opinion
as a non-member means almost nothing to me.

73, Drew KO4MA

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 26, 2014, at 11:48 AM, Michael <mat...@charter.net> wrote:
>
> I wasn't going to touch this  as I've made my opinion about P3-E known before
> but I can't be silent about some other things.  I don't believe it will ever
> fly because of the economic realities of today's world but hey, stranger
> things have happened.  Cubesats seem to be the wave of the future as they are
> more affordable to get launched but if you ask me we are still going in the
> wrong direction with them in a couple of areas. AMSAT seems to be bent and
> determined to keep building and flying FM repeaters even when ground based FM
> repeaters are slowly falling into disuse  and projects like Funcube AO-73 are
> showing how viable linear transponder cubesats are. There also seems to be
> some continued fascination with showing how we can all stand out in the
> frigid cold or the blazing sun balancing an HT in one hand and a handheld
> yagi in the other to work the flying repeaters....... YAWN!!! The novelty of
> that has worn off just as quickly as it did on exchanging nothing but grid s!
 quares and calls  and calling it a sat QSO. The focus not only needs to be on
more linear transponder cubesats and developing  new and efficient ways to
communicate with them but also on developing affordable ground equipment  like
complete SDR transceiver systems along the lines of the funcube dongle except
maybe abandoning the "dongle" concept and going more with a desktop "black box"
approach. A computer driven SDR base station with tracking and doppler
correction and digital and CW as well as voice mode communication is infinitely
more interesting to me than  seeing some idiot balancing an antenna and an HT
at a hamfest. Just my opinion.... That and five bucks will get you a fancy
Starbucks coffee blend but I had to put it out there!