I'll just say this Kevin. I was a "newbie" to all this a few short years ago too but you know what I did, I figured it out. I had no "Elmer" to guide me and I didn't need anyone like Clint holding and HT in one hand and an antenna in the other doing a demo to show me how " easy" it was. In fact, had I seen such a thing at the time, it probably would have turned me off to it more than anything. I enjoyed doing the research on antennas and rotator tracking systems and then building many of the items I needed. I then enjoyed the challenge of learning how to work the birds. The demos to show how "easy" it all is certainly have their place but I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think we sometimes do ourselves a disservice by the de- emphasis of the tech side of things and how one can build a much more complex and entertaining ground station if one so chooses. Sure you can scare people off by getting overly involved with technical stuff but I bet you can scare just as many away by showing them how "easy" it is too. Don't even get me started on the "instant gratification" business. That's a major part of what's wrong with society today. Anything worth doing is worth working for, but nobody seems to want to do that anymore.
73,
Michael, W4HIJ