When Fox-1 is completed, the whole design kit and kaboodle will be published to shed the ITAR shroud (as we have done with what has been developed as we go along, in the AMSAT-NA Space Symposium Proceedings) and anyone who wants to build one can use it or adapt it (hopefully keeping the ham transponder!) for their CubeSat RF design and fly it in/from/for another country with their experiments. The idea being as JoAnne said, the radio part is proven and provides a platform so they can concentrate on their experiments and build a CubeSat that handily just happens to contain a transponder for hams during, or when they are done with, their experiments. Of course if ITAR restrictions are eased or removed, then AMSAT-NA could collaborate with other countries as well and incorporate their experiments as we are doing with our U.S. partners now.

Jerry
N0JY