Since I think it so apropos to our discussion of old vs new technology
in AMSAT, I hereby quote in full today's "Borowitz Report" from the New
Yorker. Rarely does an item cause me to laugh and feel pain at the same
time, but this is one of those cases.

--Phil

[Picture of Buzz Aldrin saluting the flag on the moon during Apollo 11]

MINNEAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report)—Historians studying archival
photographs from four decades ago have come to the conclusion that the
U.S. must have believed in science at some point.

According to the historian Davis Logsdon, who has been sifting through
mounds of photographic evidence at the University of Minnesota, the
nation apparently once held the view that investing in science and even
math could yield accomplishments that would be a source of national pride.

While Logsdon has not developed a complete theory to explain the United
States’ pro-science stance during that era, he attributes some of it to
the liberal views of the President at that time, Richard M. Nixon.

Source:
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/nation-apparently-believed-science-point