From: "Paul Stoetzer" <n...@arrl.net>
To: "Phil Karn" <k...@ka9q.net>
Cc: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:28:12 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] ANS-199 AMSAT News Service Special Bulletin - AMSAT
Fox-1C Launch Opportunity Announced

Are FM repeater satellites what we all want in orbit? No. Personally,
I'd like a Mode J linear transponder in a sun synchronous circular
orbit of about 2,000km (if we can't get anything to HEO).

However, the Fox-1A, Fox-1B, Fox-1C, and Fox-1D satellites will
eventually lead to the Fox-2 series of satellites. The software
designed transponders on board the Fox-2 series will be capable of
operating in any number of digital communications modes as well as
operating as linear transponders.

AO-51's V/U FM repeater was probably the most popular amateur
satellite ever launched. Since the loss of AO-51, AMSAT-NA membership
has been declining and is at the point where membership dues alone do
not sustain the operating costs of the organization.

Right now, those who are mildly interested in amateur satellites have
one satellite to try with a minimal investment: SO-50, which is a
satellite that for about half the days of each month is not convenient
for most people who work 9-5 and sleep 10-6 and has a weak downlink
that is often very difficult for newcomers to hear. Even experienced
satellite operators are at times heard to transmit without being able
to hear the satellite. With EO-80 (QB50p2), Fox-1A, and Fox-1C
hopefully in orbit and operational next year, there will be three
easily heard FM satellites (the 9 dB advantage of the 2m downlinks on
these satellites will be quite welcome) - two in sun synchronous
orbits with relatively consistent pass times. Having those satellites
in orbit will mean that more hams get bitten by the satellite bug,
join AMSAT, and progress to improving their stations to operate on the
linear transponders and, potentially, on digital satellites.

Bottom line - an AMSAT with more satellites in orbit means an AMSAT
with more members and that's how we are eventually going to get our
ideal satellites in orbit.

73,

Paul, N8HM