Tom,

You need one CT-17 or equivalent level converter.  I use the West Mountain
Radio RIGtalk which is a USB serial port to CI-V interface.  Many people build
their own (easy for an RS-232 serial port) or buy inexpensive converters from
ebay.

The CI-V interface is an "open-collector" party-line.  You can parallel 2-4
Icom radios using Y-adapters, then connect it to the CI-V output of the CT-17,
RIGtalk, or other similar interface.

Does that answer your question?

73, Steve N9IP
--
Steve Belter, s...@wintek.com

On Jul 31, 2014, at 10:10 AM, Tom Warren <mtn...@hartcom.net> wrote:

>  Eric,
>
>       Thanks for you input. I do have an additional question…... about the
> need of CT-17 level converter as noted in
> the owners manual, but I think Mike will answer it when he replies.   This,
> to me, is the last piece of the puzzle
> (and my confusion). Is the ‘Y' adaptor cable to be used ‘in conjunction’ with
> the CI-V level converter or…..’in place
> of ' the CI-V level converter?
>
> Again, I’m really impressed with the helpful responses I’ve received from
> this group, thank you.
> I feel like I’m almost there ;0)
>
> 73
> Tom
> ps; from the looks of the archives, you have been involved in helping others
> for a long time !!
>

> ………………………………
>
> On Jul 31, 2014, at 1:50 AM, Erich Eichmann <erich.eichm...@t-online.de>
> wrote:
>

>> Tom,
>> as Paul wrote already change the Icom address of one of the IC-706MKIIGs and
>> enter the two addresses in the "Radio 1" section of menu "Radio Setup".
>>
>> You can connect both radios to a single Icom CAT cable  by using an
>> Y-adapter on the radio side of the CAT cable. Make sure that the CAT cable
>> works on Windows 7 and 8, see the reply of Mike, W4UOO.
>

>> When the program starts the radio with the first of the two addresses will
>> run as the RX.
>> In menu "Radio Setup" check the option "Autom. RX/TX Change". The program
>> will then automatically change the roles of both radios as RX and TX. when
>> you switch between u/v and v/u sats  and you don't need to switch the
>> 2m/70cm antennas between the radios.
>>
>> Leave option "Satellite mode" and all other options in the menu un-checked.
>>
>> 73s, Erich, DK1TB
>>

>> Am 30.07.2014 14:09, schrieb Tom Warren:
>>> Hello to the group……..
>>>
>>> Does anyone have the specifics on how to setup two IC706 MKII-G’s for
>>> satellite ssb/cw operation (duplex).
>>>
>>> I’ve done a bit of browsing and read the manual but remain confused on the
>>> hardware needed when using
>>> my Compaq laptop (no serial port), only USB’s.
>>>

>>> Any advise would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Tom