Larry,
So you need to match the Baud Rate on the radio and in the software by:

    1.  Looking in Menu Item 14 of the FT-817 (hold down the F Key for
couple seconds to access, then rotate the left knob to change to item '14')

    2.  Matching the radio baud rate setting with the Baud Rate setting in
SatPC32,

...On SatPC32, to get to the Baud Rate setting, you need to click the
"Model" pull down in the Radio Setup Window, and switch that setting to
Baudrate, then set the baud rate match the radio (best to do 38,400).

Lastly, you may need to enable RTS +12V to power the USB Level Converter in
your cable...

Hope this Helps,
Mike
W4UOO

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Larry Ryan <llryan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to set up SatPC32 ver 12.8c "unregistered" with two FT-817s. My
> problem is that there is no CAT control on radio 1. Radio 2 works
> perfectly. Here is the setup:
> Radio 1, com port 2, delay 70 (tried 110 also)
> Radio 2, com port 5
> Checked Atom. RX/TX change only (no other boxes checked but tried the
> others)
> As I change from sat to sat, Radio 2 will change freq and be steered but
> there is no response from Radio 1
> If I remove Radio 2 (unplug the USB cable) and configure only a radio 1,
> there is no CAT control of radio 1.
> Computer is an HP Mini running Win7
> Watching Device Manager, I can unplug either USB cable and see port 2 or
> port 5 come and go as I plug and unplug.
>
> I have switched radios then switched the CAT USB cables (they are FTDI).
> Still radio 1 does not change.
>
> Leaving the radios plugged in to the same computer, I exited SatPC32 and
> started HRD and tested for CAT operation on each radio one at a time and
> they both work.
>
> My question: Why no CAT for radio 1? Why no error message? Are there any
> other troubleshooting steps I can take?
>
> I have searched just about everywhere on-line and see no one else having
> this problem. I have found that many have success with the dual non-duplex
> transceivers configuration.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks, Larry W7DGP

Thanks,