:'(
I just looked at some python code.. omg... this is horrible.. how could
such a language be that popular.. indentation is part of the syntax ? omg,
the last language I know of that has indentation as part of the language
is... COBOL...
I'm telling you, it might be better, but if we go that way, I think it
won't be 'amsn' anymore... yes, even if we go into 'C mode', it won't be
the same 'amsn' spirit, but hey, C is closer to our phylosophy than
python... at least mine...
anyways, choosing the language is part of the design, and it shouldn't (of
course) be based on our 'feeling', I personally heard SO MUCH about
python, and I always hated it without knowing it, but I first saw some
python code today, and I think I wasn't that wrong, it's 'degueulasse' ...
choosing the language will be done in the design part, but my vote goes
against python, I would say C, I can vote for part of it in Tcl/Tk (a mix
of languages), I'm against Java, but could also be flexible for java
stuff, but python, I'm against it...
I just hope my vote will be meaningful and will be taken into
consideration (I don't want to be a dictator and refuse the language only
because I personally don't like it even without knowing it)...

KKRT

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:52:35 -0400, Sander Tuit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I was the one that asked about python. I think python may be a good move
> to get more people interested in aMSN, bringing new life into the
> project. (I read something in the mailing list about people not having
> enough time, etc). Python is very popular and there is a reason for
> that, it is very easy to learn and implement, and has a lot of bindings.
> Like telepathy and dbus bindings already exist for python, so there is
> no need to re-do that all.. There are also other interesting options to
> include for the future of aMSN. First, as you are probably aware of, in
> Windows Live Messenger, there is a feature to make phonecalls. There is
> at least one project I know of (OpenWengo) that has python bindings to
> make it possible to integrate something similar into the python version
> of aMSN, possibly as a plugin. Second, there are lots of GUI toolkits
> for python, making it possible to create multiple front ends, if wanted.
> At least the option include QT, GTK, and TK (probably not the way to go
> again ;) ).
>
> Greetings,
>
> Sander
>

> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 12:30 -0400, Youness Alaoui wrote:
>> Other project would be to build the other stuff from amsn2. the data
>> structures, the telepathy thing, the farsight thing, the gui objects,
>> the
>> wrappers, the dbus extension, etc...
>> we need to review all that and create a real design, maybe with the
>> student's help.
>> Did you get students to apply ? that question about python, who asked
>> it ?
>> do you know how many students we can get ?

KaKaRoTo