I disagree. I think gifts are not the problem, but how to decide who
will be given the gift. Much has been said about this, and was one of
the main reasons for not accepting money for AMSN.

For example, if we say: "more active commiters". Well, I do many
commits, but just translations lately, so someone not receiving a good
gift  might think it's not fair. Or maybe I commit only translations,
and I don't do active development lately, but updating translations is
also a needed job, as well as mailing list administration (I receive
many "aproval pending" mails every day), so I might think, why is not
my job worth a gift? What about skin artists, or translators? Or forum
colaborators? Web page mantainer?

Also, why only for 0.97? Many people did GREAT work in the past, and
many will do in the future. Don't they deserve a gift or an
oportunity?

If gifts or money is going to be given to developers it should be done
like bounties. I know what I'm proposing is complicated, but
developers or users should vote for features (not only development),
like, (just examples):

- Make a new mac skin
- Make the skins section for the web page
- Complete the langXX translation which is missing XX strings
- Implement feature XXXX in AMSN
- Fix bug XXXX

We would need a secret but safe voting system. I guess something
similar must exist already. For every bounty, developers should vote
(secretly) for a prize, during a period (for example during a day), in
$, and a time or deadline (for example, implementing XXX should cost 2
months) . The prize and time for the bounty would be the average of
the voted prize and time.

Once a person or team applies for the bounty, the bounty is closed.
The work must be finished before the time or deadline. Once finished,
developers will vote for this job (secret, again). They will vote

a) NOT WORKING -> The work is not accepted until it's fixed to work as specified
b) BAD -> The work is accepted, but the prize is -xx%. The person/team
can work to fix this.
c) GOOD -> The work is accepted, the full prize is given
d) EXCELLENT -> The work is accepted, prize plus xx% is given for an
excellent work.

Greets.

On 2/2/07, Philippe Valembois - Phil
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just want to say what Youness already knows :
> gift are so better than money !!
> It will be sth personalized :d
> Anyway, a meeting isn't possible : we have too many constraints : holidays,
> homework, moving... So many... :(
> Maybe when we will be a huge community with many sponsors... :p
> Phil
>
> Le Friday 02 February 2007 17:25, Youness Alaoui a écrit:
> > Yes, that's what Alvaro always wanted, but if we were to do something like
> > that, we would have to wait a few years just to get enough money for the
> > plane tickets... planes are so expensive now.. + not everyone can because
> > some of us work, so it will be a though call...
> > While I think we can have a gift and keep it as a souvenir and everyone can
> > get a t-shirt etc... and that would cost less than one airplane ticket :p
> >
> > KKRT
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 05:19:02PM +0100, Karel Demeyer wrote:
> > > I have another idea for a way to spend the money: what about
> > > organiseing an event for aMSN developpers ?  Like a
> > > week-during-summit/hackfest ?  The money can be used to buy airplane
> > > tickets and accomodation.  It should be researched what's the best and
> > > most profitable place then etc ...
> > >
> > > Karel.

  Alvaro J. Iradier Muro - [EMAIL PROTECTED]