I'm using Analog to analyze the Web server logs on a site that
     currently receives 1.5 million hits per month and growing.  In the
     Request Report I'm seeing some annoying results that I'd like to find
     a way to eliminate.  In each case requests that returned the same file
     to the user were formatted in a multitude of different ways.  Each and
     every one results in a separate line in the Request Report.  As an
     example, the below is an example excerpt from a recent report:

     181807: /money/milpay/
         21: /money/milpay/index.htm/
          1: /money/milpay/index.htm/99pay/
          1: /money/milpay/index.htm/99pay/99pay/
          1: /money/milpay/index.htm/99pay/99pay/99pay/
          1: /money/milpay/index.htm/99pay/99pay/99pay/98pay/
          1: /money/milpay/index.htm/99pay/99pay/99pay/99pay/
          1: /money/milpay/index.htm/99pay/99pay/99pay/99pay/99pay/
          1: /money/milpay/index.htm/99pay/99pay/99pay/99pay/99pay/99pay/

     Since these requests all returned the same file
     (/money/milpay/index.htm) I'd like to find a way to roll all these
     items into one single entry on the report.  If it were just the file
     in my example causing the problem I'd try using FILEALIAS or something
     similar to fix it.  Unfortunately its happening all over the report in
     ways that are difficult to predict.

     What I'm looking for is the ability in Analog to process the request
     line as follows:

     If the request portion of the line reads something like
     "/money/milpay/index.htm/98pay/99pay/99pay/" return a line that reads
     "/money/milpay/index.htm" instead.  This would necessitate an ALIAS type
     command that would read:

     AliasCommandOfSomeKind "*.htm*" "*.htm"

     For those of you who are curious as to how the multiple lines are
     occurring I did some detective work to try and find out.  Many of the
     cases come from using who came to my site via a lookup on a search
     engine.  For whatever reason the search site returns a hit with a URL
     formatted like "/money/milpay/index.htm/".  You'll notice the extra "/"
     on the end.  Once the page from my sites loads in the requesting user's
     browser, each link on the page is then misformated.  The Web browser
     appends the URL in the link to the end of "/money/milpay/index.htm/".
     The user clicks on a link which should lead them to a subdirectory
     "99pay/".  The actual URL in the source code of the user's browser
     reads "/money/milpay/index.htm/99pay/".  When the user clicks on the
     link, instead of going to the page they thought they were going to get,
     they get "/money/milpay/index.htm", the same page they're currently
     viewing.  In many cases the user clicks on the link upwards of five or
     more times until they finally figure out that they're not leaving the
     page.  This same problem is being repeated in varying locations across
     the site.

     Is anyone else seeing anything like this?  If Analog does not have the
     ability to fix this.  Does anyone have something like a PERL script
     that I might use to preprocess the log files.  (I'm not a Perl coder so
     I would not be able to build one myself.)

     Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

     Ed Kabat
     Web Administrator
     Defense Finance and Accounting Service