On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Priebe, Jason wrote:

> I have a bug report, however.  Lately, I've been seeing core dumps
> that happen while the software is writing out its report --
> specifically, it seems that it happens during the DIR report.
> I turned off the DIR report, and sure enough, no core dump.

Someone else reported a similar bug on NT. I've been able to reproduce his
bug on my Linux box, and even cure it, although I have no real idea why it's
happening. It seemed to depend not only on the input, but on whether
optimisation was on. And the fix shouldn't make any difference to anything.

The fix was as follows. If you're using 3.31, add a new line between
existing lines 1871 & 1872:
   fflush(outf);

I don't know the line numbers for other versions, but it's between calls to
printcols() and printtree() within the function printtree().

Please do try this out and let me know whether it fixes it. And if anyone
can explain it...

--
Stephen Turner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England