Aengus Lawlor wrote:

> >>OK, as far as I can see Apache doesn't pass the arguments. Is this IIS
> >>doing this?
> >
> >Yes (IIS3 and IIS4). Isn't it supposed to pass GET parameters like that?
>
> And I realized on my way home that GET parameters are supposed to be passed
> to the Query_String environment variable. I do remember way back in the
> mists of time (IIS 1.0) people were advised to make sure that they only put
> .pl files in their script directories, and to make sure that perl.exe wasn't
> directly addressable from a URL, because you could pass parameters to it.
> It's been a long time, though, and I thought that was fixed in some service
> pack.

I believe the reason this is still funcitonal is because on IIS many ActiveX
server controls are DLL files and need parameters sent to them. So the server
takes a url like
    /cgi-bin/webapp.dll?parm1=alpha&parm2=234155
and needs to tell the ActiveX control how to read that. My guess is that the
implementation of this support means that as a consequence, the args array of
command line options for an executable run in the cgi-space is loaded with the
get paramters.

--
Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Publishing