At 09.29 10/01/2000 +0000, Stephen Turner wrote:
>Yes, the current versions of both MSIE or Netscape don't do transparency,
>for a start. Also, you'd be surprised how many people are still using
>versions 2 and 3.

This means also lots of folks unable to see css and some other things.
Stephen had a nice idea using PRE insead of TABLE.
I'm thinking to write a CGI to send automatically TABLEd reports to new
browsers, and PREed reports to older ones and slow connections (in Perl you
can "ping" a visitor to know the speed of his connection).

Here are reports from my logs using SUBBROW */* :

- site about olive oil (mainly Italian pages):
29,98%:   MSIE/5
15,79%:   MSIE/4
 8,28%:   MSIE/3
22,87%:   Mozilla/4
 4,75%:   Mozilla/3
 0,05%:   Lotus-Notes/4
 0,01%:   Lynx/2

- site about cast-models (international, with cyber-mall):
36,11%:   MSIE/5
32,97%:   MSIE/4
 4,93%:   MSIE/3
 0,03%:   MSIE/2
17,15%:   Mozilla/4
 1,14%:   Mozilla/3
 0,08%:   Mozilla/2
 0,19%:   Opera/3
 0,18%:   OmniWeb/3

Being commercial sites, I prefer to lack a bit of "new technology" rather
than a bit of customers.
Maybe a Lynx user can buy more than a MSIE/5 one: who need sites like TV
ads can look TV instead of crowding Net lines :-)

Even if a site is solely devoted to a specific platform (e.g. Mac) you
can't rely on specific features for that platform, or you lose visitors
with other machines. A nasty trick is to write pages using "Wingdings"
font: Windows users can see only fancy drawings :-)
Of course, if your report is seen only by the site owner, you can "tailor"
it on his machine, even with Arabic chars, if he need (and pay...).

BTW, there is a site with updated statistics about browsers or we need to
start a thread here?