-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Aengus Lawlor
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 1:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re[2]: [analog-help] keeping the data granular

I wrote:

>The following 3 lines of perlscript will do what you want, I think:
>
>while (<>) {
>  split;
>  print $_[1], " ", $_[4], "\n"; }
>
>(This prints the 2nd and 5th field - just modify as appropriate. It
>should also be possible to do this from the command line, just passing
>in the print command, but I can't figure out how to make it work on
>NT.

I figured it out.

C:\logfiles> PERL -lane "print $F[1], ' ', $F[4]" logfile.log

will print the 2nd and 5th fields (for example) from logfile.log. You
can pipe the output to another file. This works with the old version of
perl included in the NT resource kit, and with the current version
available from ActiveState.

Aengus