Stephen Turner wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Chuck Schick wrote:
>
>> I want to set up the form interface on Windows NT 4.0 running IIS4.0.  I
>> think I understand a majority of it but I do have a few questions.
>>
>> 1) The server is hosting about 20 virtual domains and I want to have the
>> form interface available for each individual domain.  My question is can
>> the user run the analog for just their domain without updating all of
>> the other domains on the server and if so how is this best accomplished
>> from the configuration file standpoint - can each domain call a unique
>> configuration file and not run the other config files.
>
>Actually this is hard. The simple rule is that anything they can read, they
>can also analyse. So without password controls, whatever is visible to one
>person is visible to everyone. Even with passwords, you would have to log
>each virtual domain to a different logfile, and then arrange for the person
>only to be able to read their own logfile.

IIS automatically creates separate logfiles for each virtual servers - in
fact, I'm not sure if it's even possible to create a single logfile for
multiple virtual servers. It's easy to have the logs created within the root
directory of the Virtual Server, so that it should be possible to only allow
analysis of WebA's logs from a form in WebA, if you use separate Anonymous
accounts for each virtual server (though I can't say that I've actually
tried to do this). But by default, a user would only access one set of logs
at a time, unless they deliberately tried to access other logs.

>> 2) Presently, IIS is doing weekly logging - I would either like to stay
>> with that or go to monthly logging.  How do I get IIS to just add the log
>> files to a single file name without adding a date extension to the file
>> name? Presently IIS names the files ex000402.log for the second week in
>> April, 2000.  I believe I need to keep the log name static ( mydomain.log)
>> for the purposes of identfying the log file in the configuration file.
>
>It might be easier to write a BAT file to copy or move the most recent file
>to the name you prefer after each log rotation.

I actually use an ASP script for the form, and have it present a list of the
available files in the log directory. With Analog 4, you can select multiple
logfiles, so a single form can allow the user to analyze any combination of
logs that they want.

I will sometimes set the logging directory into the Virtual Root, so that
http://virtualserverA.domain.com/W3SVCx/ points at the logs. I then copy
anlgform.html there, as anlgform.asp, and add the following code:

<select name="logfile" size="5" MULTIPLE>
<%
Dim fs, fldr, files, f1
Set fldr = fs.GetFolder(server.mappath("."))
Set files = fldr.Files
For Each f1 in files
  if right(f1.name, 4) = ".log" then
    response.write "  <option value=""" & f1.path & """>"
    response.write f1.name & "</option>" & chr(13)
  end if
Next
%>
  </select>

This lists all files ending in .log, and allows me to select one or more for
analysis.

(You could spruce this up in a variety of ways, to offer the last 7 days
worth, or this month, or last month, as a single entry in the list).

Aengus