"Robert Brenstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It would be nice if Analog reported always the progress lines
> from the PROGRESSFREQ command to the screen even if the ERRFILE
> directs debugging output to a file. I am processing logs with
> close to 1,000,000 entries and am capturing DNS resolves and
> corrupt lines into the file but by doing so I seem to have no
> means to watch program's progress. I am using Mac version 5.21
> if that matters.

I've been using Analog for years, and I never even knew there was a
PROGRESSFREQ directive until now, because Analog is so fast that I've
never needed it. (I just did a quick test, and analysed a logfile of
1,000,000 entries in less than 3 minutes, on a 600Mhz PIII. Of course,
that's without doing DNS translation - I'm not even going to try it with
Analog doing DNS translation, because I know it will take hours. But I can
resolve the 25,000 hosts in that log file in about 10 or so minutes using
a helper app. Have you tried to use DNSTrans with your logs?)

I don't know of any way to do what you're actually asking for, because I
presume that Analog simply switches the value of STDOUT when you set the
ERRFILE directive.

Aengus