You wrote:

By the way, if your logon information is being tracked in a cookie, then
you must be checking that cookie within the page access code. I presume
that code uses some sort of timeout mechanism? If so, then that's the
place to count your sessions, not in an after the fact log analysis.

Aengus

Do you have an example of counting the sessions in such a manner? I've
done it this way before, however, I'd like to use something that's
standardized.

As for looking at 1000 reports - the purpose of this project is to see
if different types of "users" use the site in different capacities, and
how much they use it. So, eventually, SAS or some other stats package
will have to look at all this data in order to determine if different
types of users "used" the site more or less. How they want to determine
use I don't know. I've warned them of the inaccuracies of "time spent
online", however, they still may choose to use that. If so, then SAS
will need to correlate all the sessions to determine if "nonsmokers",
for instance, use the site more than "smokers" for accessing
health-related information. Or diabetics, non-diabetics, females, males,
or all types of lovely variables.

Even if I setup the cookie as you describe, I still don't see any
time-based reports in analog. Are they not even possible?

Bryan