On 3/15/04 12:54 PM Jeremy Wadsack ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>> my Referrer Report winds up looking something like this:
>
>> reqs:  %reqs: file
>> ----: ------: ----
>>  412: 11.51%: http://www.snpp.com/invalid-page-1.html
>>     :       :   http://www.snpp.com/guides/referring-page-1.html
>>     :       :   http://www.snpp.com/guides/referring-page-2.html
>>     :       :   http://www.snpp.com/guides/referring-page-3.html
>
>Analog doesn't do this. In order to be able to do this it would have
>to record every referrer for every single page which is a HUGE amount
>of memory overhead. See the FAQ http://analog.cx/docs/faq.html#faq128.

This wouldn't really require all that much memory. I am not addressing
Brian Petersen's issue here, Analog doesn't support this currently so he
has to use the approach in the FAQ or find a different product. But
Analog could, in theory, support this in the future, and it wouldn't
require as much memory as we tend to think.

I used to buy into the "HUGE amount of memory overhead" argument, and
resisted putting reports like this one in my log analyzer, Summary. But
when I finally added these reports, I discovered that they usually didn't
take all that much memory. The only "trick" I used was to share the
request string memory with the referrer report. Having done that, the
full "every page that referrers to every object" table only took a few
percent of the total memory usage.

There has been a lot of demand for what I think of as the two variable
reports (which file each referrer has referred to, which files each host
has requested, and so on). They appear to be more practical to implement
than we have tended to assume, and even when they do take huge amounts of
memory, some people are willing to put up with that. I believe that this
would be an interesting area to work on extending Analog in the future.

Jason

[EMAIL PROTECTED]