On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, hajj abujamal wrote:

>     QDNS does not do a NetBIOS name lookup ~ it accepts the result of
> the Domain Name Server on Port 53 and does not query the IP address at
> Port 137 ~ as Analog does three times on unresolved DNS queries,
> sometimes waiting for timeouts for quite a while.  This is what gives
> QDNS a much better speed, but apparently at some other expense.

Analog doesn't do anything as complicated as you think. It just calls the
system function gethostbyaddr(). It's up to the OS to respond appropriately
to that call.

This is the best I can do in a (relatively) OS-independent way. Helper
applications which are designed for only one OS may be able to do better.

--
Stephen Turner, Cambridge, UK    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adelie/stephen/
  "Low Priced Cambridge Clare College. Big selection at eBay UK!"