This has been asked before, and the answer tends to be "you don't need this". In our case, this is not true.

We're logging very little of what goes through our web server, due to the volumes. We actually only care about URLs from one segment of the server (which are handled by an Apache module). They come in 200 and 302 flavours, and the 302 flavours either get redirected off to another host, or get redirected to within the same VHOST but to a URL that will not be logged.

The logging serves a purpose beyond that as data input to analog, and only some of the log lines are interesting to analog - but they tend to be 302 lines. This means that analog will not consider them for most reports, which basically means that analog will not work for us.

Now we could pipe it all through something to rewrite all those status codes back to 200. I'm loathe to do this because we're talking a fairly large amount of data, and I'm not convinced I'll be able to write an Apache log line parser which is sufficiently fast that this won't make the analysis impractical in the timeslice we have available.

The alternative is to modify analog to provide me with a new command (or, I guess, to compile up a second binary for just this analysis, urgh) to consider 302 a success, much as 304ISSUCCESS works. Before I do this, I'd like to check:

 * if 304ISSUCCESS works after FILEEXCLUDE (since that should be more
   efficient)
 * if a patch would be accepted for this (as I hate maintaining patches
   against evolving software)
 * if there's anything else anyone thinks I should consider first.
   I need daily report, hourly summary, browser summary, operating
   system report, directory report... in case that makes a difference.

Cheers,
James

--
James Aylett
 Chief Technical Architect

Tangozebra may not be held responsible for the content of this email
as it may reflect the personal view of the sender and not that of the
company. Should you receive this email in error, please notify the
sender immediately and do not disclose copy or distribute it.

Tangozebra runs anti-virus software on all servers and workstations,
and cannot be held responsible for any infected files that you may
receive. Tangozebra advises all recipients to virus scan all emails,
and to eat five portions of fruit and vegetable daily.