Well Cygwin is a big help, thanks... Only it now raises more questions!

One thing which is odd is that analog is reporting quite high usage of
Netscape 4 which seemed odd and so caused me to look further. So analog
says:

5 172430        2.00% Netscape
  170370        1.98%   Netscape/4
  167023        1.94%     Netscape/4.06
  3281  0.04%     Netscape/4.0
  41                        Netscape/4.77
  3                         Netscape/4.5
  16                        Netscape/4.76
  2                         Netscape/4.61
  1                         Netscape/4.05
  3                         Netscape/4.7
  1645  0.02%   Netscape/7
  1643  0.02%     Netscape/7.2
  2                         Netscape/7.1
  414                     Netscape/8
  371                       Netscape/8.1
  43                        Netscape/8.1.3

Most of it seems to be Netscape 4.06 which indeed would be old. So I tried:

grep 'Netscape/' *.log > netscape.log

I then used Excel to summarise netscape.log and come up with...

user-agent      Total
Netscape/7.1    2               [matches analog]
Netscape/7.2    1695            [analog says 1695]
Netscape/8.0.4  5               [missing from analog]
Netscape/8.1    387             [analog says 371]
Netscape/8.1.3  43              [matches analog]
Grand Total             2132            [way off as analog sees lots of
Netscape/4 traffic]

grep does not find any 'Netscape/4' strings at all. Note some counts
correspond: Netscape/8.1.3 is 43 under both counts, Netscape/7.1 is 2 under
both counts.

Is there user-agent signature mapping going on within analog that is
relating some string[s] other than 'Netscape/4' to be Netscape v4 user
agents? These figures will be used to derive browser compatibility tests and
so I'll be challenged on my Netscape 4 figures and so want to be certain :-)

Thx.../Iain