I recall some other people having this problem and importing to a new
project was a solution. Like you said, having it in cvs makes copying
to a new project painful.

Probably some config file somewhere doesn't get updated. I haven't
seen a list of all the changes to various files between m3 and m5. If
you can find one, you would know what files to look at. You could also
consider creating two default projects, one in m3 and one in m5, then
running a diff on them.