I seen one other person who asked this question, but never got an
answer.  I'm having the same issue.  Here's the other thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-beginners/browse_thread/thread/69ec216e7c39ad03

The problem:
I just built a really simple android application today.  I followed
the tutorials on Google's site.  The app starts and runs great in the
emulator.  I exported the unsigned apk, created a keystore, generated
my own cert, signed my .apk, verified that it was signed, and it all
looks good.

Then I uploaded the .apk to my web server, and accessed the .apk in
the web browser on my G1.  It downloads the .apk perfectly, but when I
click on the application to install it it brings up a screen that says
Android System (in the background)
In the foreground an alert box comes up:
  Replace Application
  The application you are installing will replace another application.
  All previous user data will be saved.

I've never installed my program on my phone, so it's obviously
thinking my program is something it's not.  If I say "OK" it tells me
that the program I'm about to install needs access to *everything*. ..
i.e. GPS, wifi status, internet access, etc, etc.  The thing is, my
application doesn't require any of those permissions.  The only
permission I assigned to it in the manifest file is
android.permission.INTERNET.

Any hints?  I've spent the last 3 hours digging around online trying
to solve this myself, but no luck.  I know I'm a newb.  Today is the
first time I've ever compiled or written java in my life ;-)