The prompt only occurs if there are multiple activites stating
themselves as capable of handling the intent.  How is the system
supposed to know which the user prefers?

An good example is if you go to a picture and select to share it from
the menu.  The user may want to share the picture by MMS, with a mail
client, or with a newly installed app designed for this specific
purpose.