Bottom line, if you buy a carrier supported phone (I am using my
experience with TMobile for this discussion, not sure about
Vodaphone), you will not be able to upgrade the phone manually on a
regular basis.

Most of the upgrades currently have come over the air (OTA).   For the
cupcake release, there was a manual upgrade procedure available, that
wasn't supported by the carrier (read, if anything went wrong, the
warranty was likely voided, etc).

The Android OS is officially upgradeable (meaning, there likely isn't
a 1.5 version phone, that won't be allowed to be updated).  So Android
will support upgrading to 2.0 (when it officially is released, and
supported by your carrier).

The only way to be allowed to upgrade your phone manually, would be to
buy the phones that are released for developer use (called Android Dev
Phone - ADP1 and ADP2).  However, they are much more expensive (they
are not subsidized by the carrier).  If you have either of these
phones, you can flash whatever software you want, whenever you want
(and also have root access to the deep core of the OS, which is
another thing missing from the carrier provided phones).

Bottom line, if you absolutely need to upgrade manually, you will need
to buy a unlocked phone, at increased expense.  Otherwise, you will be
only be allowed to upgrade a carrier provided phone, when they
officially release the upgrade (at which time, you may be able to
speed up the process with a manual procedure, to avoid the wait for an
OTA update).