To be clear, I don't have a dog in this race (I don't work for
TMobile, or any other company related to this).

Here is a link to the TOS, with specific language restricting
modifying devices:

(http://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Popup.aspx?
PAsset=Ftr_Ftr_TermsAndConditions&print=true)
16. * Misuse of Service or Device. You agree not to misuse the Service
or any Device, including: (c) tampering with or modifying your Device;

Bottom line, I stand by my substantiated statement that flashing a new
OS (which would require bypassing a locked bootloader) would not sit
well with TMobile if you bricked your phone (and directly violates the
TOS).

Likely you would be able to play it off ("Gee, I don't know what
happened, I accepted the OTA update, and the phone never worked after
that").  But this would not be an officially supported upgrade (which
is what the original poster asked) even if it worked.