My original first post doesn't seem to get approved, so let me try
again. :)

I'm wondering whether other Android newbies than me find the empathy
on XML layout troublesome? I realize we should strive to separate view
from logic and that XML is hip and trendy, but is it really necessary
for these relatively simple Android applications?

XML layouts involves more files and what feels like a lot of
"magic" (type unsafe) properties, and makes samples harder to follow/
type. It also can't be especially efficient to use findViewById
(whether BFS or DFS based) constantly?

It sort of reminds me of the differences between JSF and Wicket, where
the former was designed by people sitting in an ivory tower while the
latter was designed for and by people at the ground, comfortable with
Java. Which also leads me to wonder how come Android uses the old type-
unsafe int enum pattern and also, why fluent-interfaces/method-
chaining isn't used in greater extend?

/Casper

PS: You might want to fix the URL's to the group charter and FAQ as
they currently go into 404.