> The idea is that I want to use standard UI designs for things. I have
> a large scrollable area, and I want people to know it's scrollable
> because there's the same scrollbars that they see in other
> applications.

Games don't usually have scrollbars, so I fail to see how adding
scrollbars to a game fits "standard UI designs for things". But, I'm
probably just missing something.

> It feels silly to have to rebuild the scrolling functionality from
> scratch. It already exists in another component, and really should
> exist in a primitive form, but if I have to rebuild that functionality
> from scratch, well, I guess that's what I have to do.

You assume WebKit's scrolling is handled like the scrolling of other
widgets. I strongly suspect that is not the case -- WebKit itself probably
handles its scrolling, and reports events to the rendering layer to
indicate characteristics of the scrollbar (thumb position, thumb size) to
be drawn. This is very much not in the spirit of ScrollView, but it would
be necessary for WebKit, since that works on a variety of environments,
from desktops to non-Android phones. It also may not be terribly reusable.

> I just hope that in a future SDK release, someone will realize that
> not having this particular bit of functionality outside of the WebView
> widget is unnecessarily limiting.

If you can point to code in http://source.android.com that demonstrates
the code is, indeed, separable into a reusable component, please do. If
you find it, log an issue to http://b.android.com requesting that such
code be pulled out into such a reusable component.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com