Esmail wrote:
> Lee Olayvar wrote:
>> To my knowledge, Java is simply faster. That, and Python is also rather
>> "big".
>
> Is it really faster? Is that a consequence of a better virtual machine?

On a proper x86 chip, it's *a lot* faster -
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/fastest.php?d=ndata&calc=calculate&javasteady=on&python=on

I suspect it's still faster on the Arm chip, but you'd have to run your
own numbers to be sure.  I also suspect that the security model for java
is a bit easier to contain with multiple applications running.

You can do a certain amount of development with ASE in python (or perl,
lua, jruby, bash).  You don't get access to everything, but for small
things it is probably enough to play around with.

        -Sean

sda...@gmail.com                                 Linux Users Group