On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Greg Donald <gdon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a new 2.66GHz i7 (8 cores) over-clocked to 3.69GHz, and I have
> 12 GBs of ram, 9 GBs free, no swapping.  The emulator take about 80
> seconds to load from scratch.  Eclipse takes well over two minutes to
> start up.
>
> Seems to me it doesn't really matter your computer configuration.

Sounds to me like you haven't allocated enough RAM to Eclipse, on a
modest 2.40Ghz Core 2 Duo, with 3GB RAM, my Eclipse starts in just
over 40secs using these settings:

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Xms256m
-Xmx1024m

I also keep plug-ins to a minimum, in particular avoiding VCS plugins
like Subclipse.

Your emulator estimates more-or-less match mine, you can improve boot
time to a degree by passing some command switches to it. e.g.
"--noaudio" which prevents Android emulating the entire audio stack
(assuming you don't need it), and "-no-boot-anim" which prevents the
boot animation from loading up.