To get the debugger to work in Eclipse requires that the emulator is
up and running.  If it isn't up and running, eclipse will attempt to
start it.  The startup prosses on my machine can take upto 5 mins.
However, the debugger will not attach until the program starts running
in the emulator.

If however, you are wanting to step-through the android specific code,
and not you own code, I haven't worked with it enough to answer that,
yet.

Happy Coding
-KitzyKitt