Alright, so here are some things you should do:
1 - When you run "adb" from your terminal window you get output
2 - When you run "ant -v" from the you get some output telling you
your ant version and an error about build.xml

If these two things are working, then you don't *need* Eclipse to do
your android development.  As was stated earlier, ADT on Windows7
doesn't work well if at all.
You can do android development using whatever you want (vim, emacs,
notepad, etc). If you need an IDE perhaps you should give NetBeans a
try.  There is an android development plugin made for NetBeans that
might work on Windows 7.

Either using NetBeans or some text editor try and get the Hello World
application working on your emulator. The best way to do that would be
to simply use ant to build your project (make sure your emulator is
already running):
yourandroidproject $ ant compile
yourandroidproject $ adb install -r bin/yourandroidproject.apk

In another window you may want to be running logcat so that you can be
sure the application you are trying to install is actually being sent
to your emulator.

I highly suggest you try getting this working from the command line
first.

Cheers,

CS