hhmmm...
Ok I just created a proxy.xml file within the res/drawable-dpi folder
using this code :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<bitmap
xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
    android:src="@drawable/bgimage"
    android:gravity="bottom">
</bitmap>

afterwards I created (in my main.xml file) the following :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<FrameLayout  xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
            android:background="@drawable/proxy"
            android:layout_height="fill_parent"
android:layout_width="fill_parent">
</FrameLayout>

So where does that BitmapDrawable come into the equation ? :D