No, there won't be such an option. Having a persistent selection on a
device with a touch screen and a keyboard (if Android runs on a such a
device some day) creates many more important issues.

The next release of the SDK provides a new feature in ListView that
lets you enable the single choice or the multiple choice mode. These
modes automatically turn the ListView into a list of "check boxes"
(although they don't look like checkboxes.) This achieves exactly what
you want.

Also, Android's philosophy is that the menu should not be used for
context-sensitive actions. The context menu (== long press) is meant
for that. The menu should contain only global actions.

--
Romain Guy
www.curious-creature.org