Jaikishan Jalan wrote:
> I read the docs but could not really understand DEFAULT category. Can
> you please explain what is the difference between - HOME and DEFAULT
> Category?

Heh. I can try.

The docs say that HOME is "the first activity that is displayed when the
device boots". In other words, that's for the Launcher itself.

The definition of DEFAULT seems to be somewhat inconsistent in the
current SDK documentation. On the one hand, it is described as "the
default action (center press) to perform on a piece of data", yet it is
used in the ApiDemos only for the main activity, and elsewhere in the
Intent documentation it is shown sprinkled in pretty much every
intent-filter they have.

The key for categories and intent-filter elements seem to be: when in
doubt, list anything that might match. You are penalized for not having
the right category, by not getting the Intents you expect. You are NOT
penalized for having too many -- if the Intent only matches some of what
your filter wants, that's perfectly fine.

You might try tossing in DEFAULT into your intent-filter, and maybe
LAUNCHER too, and see what happens. And, if we're lucky, hackbod or
somebody will let us know the actual category we're supposed to be
filtering upon. The only tutorial I'm seeing that spells it out, over on
anddev.org, is from January, meaning it would be on the previous version
of the SDK, so it might have changed in M5.

And, as an aside to anyone writing documentation for Android core or
third-party components: if you are going to broadcast Intents that you
expect others to pick up, please document BOTH the action AND the
category, not just the action. If not, those of us trying to receive
your Intent will have to guess, and, as a result, might be eaten by a grue.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com