> 1) My gallery is an element in a list view right now...

Ow.

> but once I
> scroll down to select the gallery in the list, I can't scroll up and
> down the list anymore (the gallery hijacks the "up" and "down" keys).

It's probably a question of focus. There may be ways to hack around it by
manually forwarding key events from your gallery to the list. You could
try using dispatchKeyEvent() for this, though I've never tried it.

What's the value in having a gallery as a row in a list versus just being
in a regular container? If scrolling is all you're after, doesn't
ScrollView address that issue?

> 3) I want to override my keys such that the "left" and "right"
> softkeys switch the selected images in the gallery, even while the
> gallery is not the selected view in the list.

This is probably #1 in reverse. You'd need to try to forward the relevant
key events from other widgets to the gallery or otherwise do the
left/right processing on the gallery's behalf.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com