I was asking the same question to the Google guys at one of the
Developer Days. Unfortunately, they couldn't do anything about it. So,
it looks like we depent on carriers or HTC when they make the devices
available somewhere else.

What does the OHA thinks about that? Do they want to let the
developers idle? Couldn't they provide a pool of devices just for
developers? Maybe they google could forward this issue to OHA...

Probably the main problem is that there aren't enough devices anyway.
Production takes time and money :-=

Cheers,
Friedger