Manual obfuscation works fine, using an Ant script and ProGuard. It is
not that difficult to set up.

Few things to consider:
* There were some problems with optimized code: Sometimes optimized
code throws errors when converting to dex code.
* All class names that are defined in the Manifest or used as custom
widgets in layout files should of course be excluded from obfuscation.
In our application this is quite a lot (activities, content providers,
widgets), so this somehow prevents complete obfuscation, and it is
easier to guess from the decompiled class names what they are good
for.

Other than that, I don't think there is anything wrong with
obfuscation. It also decreases the apk size slightly, by using shorter
strings for class and method names ("a", "b", "c", ..). Smaller file
size is always good on mobiles :-)

Let me know if you need help in setting up the ant script.

Peli
www.openintents.org