This sounds more like a dialog, progressdialog, or toast to me than an
"invisible activity"..

http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/app/ProgressDialog.html

You could launch the intense calculatoin in a background thread, and
indicate through handlers when the calculation is done.

Does this sound like a possible solution, or did you have something
else in mind?

Peli
www.openintents.org