On Jun 15, 5:11 pm, "Richard C. Cox" <conard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if I completely grasp the Android permissions model.  I recently
> started working on a simple widget to put the phone to sleep.  Of course, it
> always gets a security exception because an ordinary user app isn't allowed to
> call the PowerManager method 'goToSleep' because it's requires the 'signature'
> level permission DEVICE_POWER.  But I could find nowhere in the docs or on
> Google that officially says that.

You're right, and IMHO you've spotted a deficiency in the SDK
documentation.  The required permissions are usually documented
alongside the API call - for example in the documentation of the
PowerManager reboot() method it states that the REBOOT permission is
required.

However, in both of these cases (DEVICE_POWER and REBOOT) the
permissions have protectionLevel of 'signature' so the only way to
call those APIs from an APK signed by the the device manufacturer.
I'm not sure why these APIs aren't hidden from the API documentation -
as they can't be used by most developers.